Skip to main content

BOOK REVIEW RUNDOWN: TWENTY FOUR SECONDS FROM NOW

📖BOOK TITLE: TWENTY-FOUR SECONDS FROM NOW 

📖AUTHOR: JASON REYNOLDS 

📖THOUGHTS&OPINIONS: 
#137thBookOf2024
Neon is about to take the next big step in his relationship with Aria, and that step is being intimate. The novel starts with Neon being holed up in his girlfriend's bathroom before the "big moment." I loved how the novel progresses backwards, taking us twenty-four minutes before, then twenty-four hours, and also twenty-four days before, twenty-four weeks, and twenty-four months (back to the very first time Neon and Aria meet).

This is a very unconventional novel for me, and it is so unlike anything I've read. And most importantly, it is told from Neon's POV Black Boys Love too ❤. I know in most black-oriented novels, we have racism, drugs, and the rest, but this novel is about love, and it is focused on love.

Another important thing I love is how both Aria's and Neon's parents are fully involved in their lives; you don't see them forcing ideologies down their throat, and the way we see Neon's parents having the "sex talk" with his and not being weird about it. I also really liked how his sister was represented in the novel. She was so present in her brother's life, and I love it for them.

There was a lot of talk about consent, protection, and feelings. Healthy friendships being portrayed! Healthy parent-child relationship being portrayed! Healthy relationships are being portrayed! I know in a few months or years, this book will be used as reference material for parents having the "talk" with their children.

This review won't be complete if I don't mention Denzel Jeremy Washington at least once! 😂 

📖RATINGS: 4 STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BOOK REVIEW RUNDOWN: REMEMBER ME TOMORROW

📖 BOOK TITLE: REMEMBER ME TOMORROW  📖AUTHOR: FARAH HERON 📖THOUGHTS&OPINIONS:  #127thBookOf2024 Yes, this book is a little bonkers. This is a very unconventional love story, and you have to really get at it to grasp the story between Jay and Aleeza. You know I love everything time travel/parallel universe-related, and with each fiction book I read about this topic, my mind is blown away every single time. Yes, there's more mystery elements than the rom-com because how can Aleeza be in love with Jay, who is not even in her timeline, talk about a guy who is unavailable? I loved how put together this book was, how the mystery elements worked together; there was no point in this book that was left to assumptions; everything was explained well without being boring and overly descriptive. Overall, I really enjoyed this story, and definitely this will not be my last Farah Heron's book. 📖RATINGS: 4 STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 📖QUOTES: ♤ Time isn’t linear. There are an infin...

FROM ONE TO FIVE

Another Saturday, another bookish rant😂😊. Welcome to another chapter of weekly special book lovers 📚😍. The star rating system: a simple way to sum up our thoughts on a book, or an outdated habit that's due for a change? The other day I saw a post on Instagram about whether book reviewers still made use of "stars" when reviewing books, and I was compelled to make this a topic on my book segment! So the question is, 'Do reviewers and generally book lovers still make use of stars when reviewing books?' As a book reviewer myself, I love making use of stars, and I will never stop making use of them except a better system comes up for scaling books 😂. It is also true that I correct my ratings accordingly. What do I mean by this? This is what I mean: when rating books, I go by my mood and excitement after completion of the book, and I immediately rate books. I may look back on my emotions after reading a particular book and correct my ratings. I recently...

RIVALRY NEVER FELT SO RIGHT

It's officially the weekend, and there is no better way to start the weekend than filling your shelves or E-reader😍📚❤. This is  Readers Recs : Here are 8 books which feature ACADEMIC RIVALS TO LOVERS to fill your never-ending TBR 🤭🤭. Tension and rivalry has never felt so right!! Let's get to the list:  1. TODAY TONIGHT TOMORROW BY RACHEL LYNN SOLOMON  BLURB:  Today, she hates him. It’s the last day of senior year. Rowan Roth and Neil McNair have been bitter rivals for all of high school, clashing on test scores, student council elections, and even gym class pull-up contests. While Rowan, who secretly wants to write romance novels, is anxious about the future, she’d love to beat her infuriating nemesis one last time. Tonight, she puts up with him. When Neil is named valedictorian , Rowan has only one chance at victory: Howl, a senior class game that takes them all over Seattle, a farewell tour of the city she loves. But after learning a group ...